Relationally Connected with Jesus and One Another
“My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent Me” (John 17:20-21 NIV)
- Value relationships by valuing the person
- Invest in those around you
- Pursue Jesus and allow His nature (i.e. perichoresis and ekstasis) to flow through you to others
- Genuinely enjoy spending time with your apprentices
- Chemistry between each other builds the foundation for trust and confidence in one another
“Now as they observed the confidence of Peter and John and understood that they were uneducated and untrained men, they were amazed, and began to recognize them as having been with Jesus.” (Acts 4:13 NASB)
- Our relationship with Jesus will flow out to others
Opposite of passionate engagement: At the end of Matthew’s Gospel Jesus directed disciples to meet him at the mountain
“Then the eleven disciples proceeded to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go. When they saw Him, they worshiped Him; but some doubted.” (Matthew 28:16-17 NIV)
- Doubted: held back, not wanting to worship, not risking themselves completely
- Jesus response: He did not hold back, but released the Great Commission and promised He would be with them till the end of the age
Passionate engagement is:
- Being focused and determined
- Passionate pursuit (being all in and not holding back) and follow through
- When it comes to tasks, having the daily “can-do” spirit knowing that Jesus is with me and His life-source is flowing through me to others.
This requires us to be giving of ourselves to others. Though the efforts of engagement may be sacrificial at times, it comes with great joy because we are moving with God’s desires, pursing relationship, fellowship and community (see Heb. 12:2).
Let’s not hold back in our relationship with Jesus and others but passionately engage in going after what’s on His heart relationships.
*Note: Your continued assignment is to begin enacting upon your stated goal within the next two weeks. Please respond using the form below by December 5. Thanks!